Alterra Mountain Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
WP - Mountain Maintenance - Snowmaker I - Winter Season - Full Time
at Alterra Mountain Company
WINTER PARK RESORT OVERVIEW:
Opened in January of 1940, Winter Park Resort is the oldest continuously operating resort in the United States. We are located just 67 miles north-west of Denver, which makes us the closest major ski resort to the city. Winter Park’s traditions are deeply rooted in railroad, logging, and the early exploration of Grand County and the local Fraser Valley. Our mission is to “create the best memories, again and again,” for our guests, our employees, our community, and our strategic partners.
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, Alterra Mountain Company is a community of 14 iconic year-round destinations, including the world’s largest heli-ski operation. The company owns and operates a range of recreation, hospitality, real-estate development, food and beverage and retail businesses. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado with destinations across the continent, we are rooted in the spirit of the mountains and united by a passion for outdoor adventure. Alterra Mountain Company’s family of diverse playgrounds spans five U.S. states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Deer Valley in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. We honor each destination’s unique character and authenticity and celebrate the legendary adventures and enduring memories they bring to everyone together.
The Snowmaker I works under the direction of the Snowmaking Controller and this person is expected to learn the skills necessary to run an efficient operation of the snowmaking system. The Snowmaking Apprentice must be able and willing to learn to operate equipment in the snowmaking system and gain an understanding of the entire snowmaking system. Responsible for consistently following WPRA policies and procedures.
- Pre-operation checkout and fueling of snowmobile.
- Show up for work in good condition.
- Receive instructions for shift from Supervisor/Controller.
- Preform basic grooming functions from Controller/ Supervisor.
- Perform required work in a safe and efficient manner.
- Secure work site in a reasonably safe manner, (i.e. hoses aligned properly, snowmobiles parked, snow guns placed safely and efficiently)
- Inform Supervisor of scheduled jobs not completed.
- Inform mechanics of necessary repairs and/or service needed on snowmobiles.
- Maintain accurate up-to-date logs on equipment used.
- Maintain a friendly, congenial, and helpful attitude while effectively dealing with guests, mechanics, and other employees.
- Practices safe methods for snowmobile, snow gun, and hydrant and pump house functions.
- Report and correct, if possible, unsafe conditions regarding equipment and area of work, or elsewhere on the area including pump houses, snowmobiles, and snowmaking sections throughout the resort.
- Housekeeping of assigned work/shop/equipment area.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Accurately recorded time swipes, hand written time cards, machine write ups, and water read outs.
- Must be able to maintain a sustainable heath standard in fast changing altitudes and workloads.
This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of this resort and position, the responsibilities of this position may change.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School diploma or GED
- Experience in understanding the mechanics of snow movement and snowmaking systems is desirable.
- Experience as snowmaker/skiing trail crew desirable.
- Flexibility with all snowmaking shifts.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Possess a valid, non-restricted motor vehicle license.
- Able to work irregular hours and to maintain a high level of caution and common sense while performing duties
- Have reliable transportation to work
- Skiing/snowboarding ability desired
- First aid desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING:
This position will require to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- The primary physical environment in which this position works is out of doors with a high exposure level to cold, snow, wind, rain, bugs, sun, high altitude, extreme heights, lightning, etc...
- The degree of strenuous activity within the job is considered to be high. Often lifting a weight of 50 pounds throughout the day is common.
- Additional strenuous physical activity may include walking or hiking upon uneven, challenging terrain with heavy tools or equipment.
- Exposure to: Chemicals required for cleaning, de-greasing, and painting Ultra Violet radiation from the sun enhanced through lack of atmospheric filtration at work altitude. Fumes produced in activities ranging from cleaning to painting to fabrication of metal products. Noise generated by snowmobiles, lift equipment, and tools may require hearing protection to be worn.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other employees.
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily- reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
This position description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for the role described above. With the evolution of Winter Park Resort, the responsibilities of this position may change as may the dates associated with many of the tasks. During these times of change, this position requires the flexibility and willingness to accept new responsibilities and potentially transfer others. It will also be the responsibility of any employee of Winter Park Resort to be a positive influence on the transformation of the resort and its associated lines of business.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Winter Park Resort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the principles of equal
Employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment.
We do not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by state or local law.
Winter Park Resort will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to Winter Park Resort. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I understand that this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.