Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ENGINEER- MEASUREMENT CONTROLS
at TallGrass Energy
Operating across 11 states, Tallgrass is a growth-oriented midstream energy operator with transportation, storage, terminal, water, gathering and processing assets that serve some of the nation’s most prolific crude oil and natural gas basins.
We were named to Colorado’s Top Workplaces list for the past five consecutive years. Tallgrass strives to create an environment where all employees feel they are safe, respected, that their contributions are valued, have equal access to growth and development opportunities. Our Total Rewards Package is comprehensive and competitive - designed to meet the needs of our employees and their families. We offer our employees competitive base pay; an annual discretionary bonus; paid time off for vacation, sick time, holidays, birth or adoption of a child, serious illness, and bereavement; Health, Dental, and Vision insurance; a generous 401K savings plan; company-paid Life insurance, Short and Long term disability insurance; Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts; Employee Assistance Programs; Identity Theft Protection; and Critical Health and Accident insurance.
Primary purpose for Engineer Measurement Controls:
To perform a broad range of engineering, operational and analytical duties required for the accurate measurement and control of gas and crude oil on company pipeline and midstream assets.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Assist and advise Operations, Commercial, Control Center, and Project Management with trouble shooting, optimization, engineering problems, and procedures as related to measurement.
• Design, test, and maintain standard and custom flow computer programs for station measurement and control.
• Specify Electronic Flow Measurement (EFM) equipment and provide hardware design including standard drawings for installation, including EFM, transmitters, enclosures, power supplies, solar power systems, termination blocks, modems, intrinsic safety barriers and any other equipment required by the EFM system.
• Design and implement automation system networks, including specifying communications protocols, communications media and associated hardware for electronic flow measurement and control.
• Interface with other technical/engineering disciplines to ensure the effective integration of electrical and automation systems with the overall product design.
• Provide on-site services as necessary, including oversight of system installation and troubleshooting support as required.
• Work with field operations to promote consistent measurement techniques, evaluate physical measurement, and build business case solutions as appropriate.
• Test and evaluate new equipment, including EFMs, transmitters, chromatographs and related user interfaces in existing lab.
• Provide support to field operations and engineers to resolve technical problems related to measurement, control, balancing, auditing, chromatography and SCADA.
• Keep abreast of industry trends, technology and changes. Review, revise, create and update Tallgrass engineering standards, policies, procedures and best practices.
• Investigate measurement quality through data analysis, knowledge and experience and solid communications with field personnel; identify and prioritize possible issues.
• Proactively utilize data and statistical analysis techniques to investigate and identify possible measurement related issues.
• Lead assessment teams in the field to determine performance of physical measurement stations.
• Provide measurement related field training as necessary.
• Deal with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy and professionalism.
• Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills and listen carefully.
• Maintain a regular, dependable attendance and a consistently high level of performance.
• Will work non-traditional hours as needed.
• Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
• Other daily, weekly, monthly or special project duties as identified and defined.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Engineering, Physical Science or Computer Science or a related discipline.
• A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the energy industry performing I&C and/or measurement function.
• Knowledge of energy industry measurement standards such as AGA, API, GPA, etc.
• Knowledge of transmission pipeline operations.
• Ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical construction drawings and diagrams, cause/effect diagrams and Piping and Instrument Drawings (P&ID’s).
• Intermediate to advanced proficiency level in MS Office applications that may include but are not limited to Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Certifications, Licenses & Registrations:
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers (for travel).
Competencies, Skills & Abilities:
• Experience programming EFMs, PLCs and HMI systems and familiarity with IEC61131 programming languages.
• Experience designing and implementing communications networks, utilizing a variety of communication protocols.
• Experience designing and specifying physical media used in communications and controls, including but not limited to copper cabling, fiber optic cabling and radio transmission.
• Knowledge and experience in the design and operation of automation systems for natural gas and oil facilities, including measurement stations, storage facilities and processing facilities.
• Advanced problem solving and analytical skills, including ability for data analysis and data auditing.
• Proven communication, oral and written, with ability to communicate with a variety of individuals and personalities at all levels internally and outside the organization.
• Must be able to perform all essential and marginal functions of the job.
• Must be able to work with a team, take direction from management, adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
• Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks with strict deadlines.
• Ability to organize and prioritize daily work.
• Job level commensurate with experience and skill sets; position will be filled depending on qualifications, experience and skill sets of the successful candidate.
All of the physical requirements listed below are those that may be necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sitting; standing; walking or moving throughout facility; driving; talking; seeing (specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus); hearing; feeling; bending or stooping; squatting or crouching; reaching; kneeling; pushing; pulling; lifting up to 25 lbs.
• Minimal safety hazards; general office working conditions.
• Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
• The employee is regularly required to use hands to type, touch, handle, or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions as needed during field site visits.
• Field activities may include walking to and amidst work and/or construction sites, climbing in and out of trenches, working around heavy equipment and working in confined spaces.
• Occasional overnight travel may be required.
• The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, including credit report for certain positions, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position:
• Working knowledge of Bristol/Fisher EFM hardware and software.
• Ability to write and update standard and custom flow computer programs using IEC61131 programming language, including Bristol ControlWave designer, Fisher DS800 program language and ISaGRAF.
• Familiarity with ClearSCADA, ACM, and AES setup and architecture.
• Experience writing SQL queries for data analysis.
• Strong understanding of statistical analysis methods.
• Skill using VBA and data analysis tools in Excel.
• Experience with natural gas chromatography.
• Understanding of device communications and protocols for industrial applications.
• Understanding of all facets of crude oil and NGL measurement.
• Understanding of oil sampling, liquid provers and lab analysis processes for crude oil.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This position may perform other duties as assigned.
Tallgrass Energy Partners, LP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship status, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V