State of Colorado
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Developer (Oracle, PL/SQL)
at State of Colorado
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2514580
Overall Job Objective
- Department Information
- ***VISA SPONSORSHIPS ARE NOT AVAILABLE***What We Do:
***For the purposes of minimum qualification and comparative analysis, ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all of your relevant experience on the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered. ***
The Governor's Office of Information Technology (OIT) strives to impact the lives of all Coloradans to create a safer, happier and healthier state. We work to empower the State of Colorado with flexible technology that will drive sustainable and intelligent business decisions. We envision a future where the end-user experience shapes design, and data analytics transform how state government serves its residents.
At OIT, we recognize that "how" we deliver is as important as "what" we deliver. Our core values define our character, and each employee is expected to embody these values in all the work we do:
SERVICE: Serving the people of Colorado
Intentionally and generously serving others for a better Colorado.
INTEGRITY: Demonstrating credibility and sincerity in our work
Inspiring confidence and trust in the Governor's Office of Information Technology through our personal conduct.
TEAMWORK: Collaboratively working together at OIT and across the state
Working cooperatively with others and engaging in constructive dialogue to overcome difficult challenges
RESPECT: Appreciating and acknowledging the role, diversity, and contribution of those with whom we work.
Consistently conducting ourselves in a way that shows regard and thoughtfulness to others.
COURAGE: Pushing boundaries to foster positive change
Proactively and positively pursuing the transformations necessary to address tough issues and drive innovation.
INNOVATION: FOSTERING NEW IDEAS
We foster new ideas. We challenge the status quo and continuously ask, "How can we do this better?" Then we take action and make a difference through novel processes and technology.
Why We Want You:
We want your expertise, positive energy, drive to succeed and love of this great state as we work to elevate the expectations Coloradans have of their government.
What You'll Get From Us:
At OIT you will find an opportunity to contribute meaningful work to support and serve Colorado residents. It's your chance to combine your love of technology with public service. Plus, you'll have great benefits, motivated team members, and opportunities for advancement.
Check out this video to see why our employees love working for the Governor's Office of Information Technology:
- Description of Job
The Senior Developer will be responsible for the technical design, development and delivery of various service applications and innovative technology solutions. This position works closely with team members to ensure alignment across each service application, system and service, including implementation of coding standards, version control, security standards, and application optimization. This position is also responsible for ensuring each solution is managed following the System Development Life Cycle.
The Senior Developer has responsibilities across the full Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) from business requirements to support but is primarily focused on development activities. These include working with business analysts and customers to understand requirements; working with team members to apply secure programming techniques using standards and best practices; commenting code for peers and testers; performing unit testing, configuration management, source code control, deployment and release management; and providing support services
as needed. Operational support services vary in scope from minor bug fixes (incidents) to major enhancements (change orders). As applications reach the sunset stage, the Senior Developer is also expected to participate in planning efforts around replacement and modernization. The Senior Developer operates at the Line of Business level.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Technical Lead - 35%
- This position will lead a development and application support team using an Agile methodology and will be responsible for assigning, monitoring, and evaluating technical tasks as directed by the Manager, Enterprise Applications.
- Manage shifting priorities and team assignments through a matrix supervisory environment
- Use development and testing tools for application management, to streamline business processes and to automate repetitive tasks.
- Request infrastructure resources required to support development or testing platforms for applications. Resources will include servers, storage, networking, and database schemas.
- Collaborate and/or review functional designs and identify gaps for specifications.
- Coordinates performance testing, configurations, deployments, development project plans, and source code control.
- Manage code reviews, create strategy and guidelines for implementation, propose/collaborate innovative solutions, and lead implementation and support.
- Consult with Solution Architects, Solution Engineers, and others as appropriate to design applications in line with OIT strategies (e.g., Cloud First, Mobile First, Secure Colorado, etc.).
- Collaborate with Business Analysts, Customers, Project Managers, and others as appropriate to assist in the creation of estimates and timelines.
- Develop and lead team to create applications following business requirements and using Agile.
- Determine the best approach in the development of an application's code to meet the customer's current requirements and anticipate future enhancement needs.
- Identify and recommend changes to development policies, processes, templates and standard operating procedures to improve the overall quality of work being delivered.
- Provide operational support and maintenance services by resolving incidents and change orders in a timely fashion while adhering to change management standards and processes, particularly related to incident resolution and implementing
production system changes.
- Monitor applications services for availability, dependability and/or issues on new and existing programs to correct errors and detect performance issues. Recommend potential solutions and adjustments where need.
- Mentors staff with performing complex troubleshooting, analysis, solution development and implementation.
- Participates in the implementation and rollout of new or existing applications, completes installations and configurations of various applications based on the defined business processes.
- Verifies application services, enhancements and architectures are designed, tested, and implemented according to the operations standards and service quality.
- Mentor team in automating system administration tasks by creating scripts to enhance functionality and/or performance of company applications as needed, following change management procedures.
- Ensure application security is implemented according to best practices and standards.
- Perform coding (in-house applications) or configuration management (COTS applications) in accordance with standards and best practices and further minimize defects through disciplined unit testing.
- Coordinate update releases and other system changes, contribute to the implementation of break/fix solutions, and update documentation and configuration information related to changes as needed throughout the life cycle.
- Organize, build, and validate all segments of the code related to a specific build (release) for final User Acceptance Testing.
- Ensure development and support activities within the position's scope of responsibility are consistent with established
service portfolio policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Must understand lines of authority and follow protocol to engage other resources.
- Find unique ways to resolve Issues in the development process to meet the requirements of the customers and lead to the most efficient implementation possible.
- Coordinate project reporting and tracking through standardized tools.
- Provide assistance to the project managers, development managers, and technical teams.
- Prepare progress/status reports, review dashboards, use cases, and test cases.
- Create and/or document project plans and processes for internal team development and support.
- Create, collaborate and/or review documentation for application installations, configurations, system requirements, workflows, and process diagrams to orchestrate end to end business processes.
- Transfer knowledge to teams via presentations and one on ones.
- Proactively review new applications, tools and platforms.
- Work closely with all OIT support teams.
- Continue trainings as needed.
- Decrease the number of work orders prioritized by the business
- Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Minimum Job Requirements:
- 6+ years of experience as a software developer in progressively more complex
assignments with experience managing requirements for software application
development, service delivery, and customer satisfaction, or relevant experience in an IT applications/solutions delivery role.
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in information
technology, computer science, or related field. (Relevant experience may be
substituted for education at the hiring manager's discretion.)
- PL/SQL for Oracle, TSQL for SQL Server, for Oracle Support
- Web services
- Database basics - DML
- Demonstrated understanding of application design, development, testing, integration and support within an SDLC framework.
- Ability to successfully resolve application defects and document solutions within a knowledge base
- Must be detail oriented and have demonstrated ability to take ownership of tasks, deliver on schedule,
understand and manage priorities and raise risks/issues on a timely basis.
Functional/Technical Knowledge & Skills
- Proven ability to lead a project team and to work under minimal direction.
- Competent oral and written communications skills, and the ability to interact professionally and positively with team members and customers at all levels in the organization.
- Respect the views and opinions of customers, co-workers, and others encountered in the course of performing job duties.
- Must be detail oriented and have demonstrated ability to take ownership of tasks, deliver on schedule, understand and manage shifting priorities and raise risks/issues on a timely basis
- 6+ years of experience as a software developer in progressively more complex
- Supplemental Information
- Conditions of employment: A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted as part of the selection process, and/or other department-specific screens as required. Felony convictions or conviction of crimes of moral turpitude or conviction of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position.
- Some details to be aware of: Former employees of the State of Colorado who have not left in good standing will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Comparative Analysis Process: is the selection process used to identify the applicant that fits the job the best from a qualified applicant pool. Applications and applicants are compared to others in the pool to identify a top group. Applicants will be notified of their status in the pool via email.
- On-call Status: As warranted
- Travel- May require travel to various metro Denver locations.
- Working Conditions - Typical office environment