State of Colorado
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at State of Colorado
- Department Information
Vision Statement: CSDB ... Learning, Thriving, Leading
The Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind (CSDB) provides children and families statewide with comprehensive, specialized educational services in safe, nurturing environments. We empower learners to become self-determined, independent contributing citizens within their communities.
Collaboration; Open, Honest Communication; Respect; Responsibility
- Description of Job
Temporary Aides are called to work on an as-needed basis in the residential program and/or in the classroom; there are no set hours or guarantee of hours.
In the residential program, Temporary Aides are responsible to ensure the safety, accountability and well-being of residential students through the after-school hours, and to offer support and learning opportunities presented by the curriculum (a program for the development of living skills) and through collaboration with other staff members who work with assigned students.
In the classroom, Temporary Aides are responsible to provide support to students and teachers under the direction of the teaching staff by assisting in classroom instruction through implementation of lesson plans, use of effective teaching strategies, teaching aides and working with students in a one-on-one or a small group setting (based upon Individual Education Program goals and objectives), to manage behavior (may include aggressive and non-compliant behavior) in order to maintain a safe and supportive environment, and to perform classroom or school administration support tasks as required.
- Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Successful experience working with children or youth required.
- Prefer experience with Deaf / Hard-of-Hearing (HOH) children and / or with Blind / Visually Impaired children in an educational environment.
- Proficiency in American Sign Language at the Intermediate level is required to work with students who are Deaf / Hard-of-Hearing.
- Shift work required (for work in the residential program) -- afternoon/evening/graveyard, split shifts, and/or weekends, holidays as may be required. These positions are eligible for shift differential pay.
- Applicants must be willing and able to: work with children who have emotional problems and who might pose a physical threat (with appropriate training).
- Requires medium lifting: i.e., the ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally (lift and/or transfer children weighing up to 50 pounds), and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move persons or objects. This position also requires walking and/or standing for 6-8 hours during a work shift
- Possession of a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License (Regular), if assigned to transport students -- please provide a copy with application.
- Must successfully complete annual Colorado Department of Education Transportation / driver training requirements if assigned to transport students.
- Direct deposit of paycheck is required.
- CSDB is a non-smoking facility in its entirety.
- Selected applicants must comply with the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind Drug-Free Workplace Policy, and other policies.
- As required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), selected applicant must verify, within 72 hours of employment, his / her legal right to be employed in the United States.
- Selected applicant(s) will be required to submit to and pass a background check, to include Colorado and Federal criminal history checks, "Trails" check (child abuse records), employment verification, and professional / personal reference checks.
- A courteous, professional and helpful attitude in the role of CSDB representative.
- Ability to respond effectively and positively to feedback; ability to participate effectively in a team setting and to work independently; strong interpersonal and communication skills; effective organizational skills; effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work effectively with students who are Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing, Blind/Visually Impaired and/or Deafblind and who may have additional disabilities / special needs.
- Knowledge of and ability to assess and apply technology to perform the requirements of the position; ability to effectively utilize a variety of computer software applications, which may include but is not limited to e-mail, Internet, word processing, electronic calendar, presentation development, spreadsheet, database, etc.; willingness to stay current and develop skills as needed with or without direct support from CSDB.
Temporary Aides are limited to working nine (9) calendar months in a 12-month period. In addition, for a part-time temporary employee, one day worked during a month will constitute a full month worked. After that time, a temporary aide must wait four (4) months before they may work again as a temporary employee for the State of Colorado.
As a temporary employee, Temporary Aides pay state, federal and local (if applicable) taxes, Medicare tax, and contribute to the Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA). They also receive Workers' Compensation coverage. A temporary employee does not receive health/dental/life insurance benefits and does not receive sick/annual/holiday or any other leave benefits. Temporary employees are called to work on an as-needed basis; there are no set hours or guarantee of hours.
- Supplemental Information
The Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind (CSDB) is actively seeking candidates interested in rewarding part-time / temporary work as Temporary Aides.
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis
How To Apply:
In addition to the submission of a complete on-line application (to include salary history and references), please upload the items listed below to the on-line application:
- Current Resume
- Recent letters of recommendation (with signature).
- A copy of current, valid State of Colorado Drivers' License must be submitted with application.
- If applicable, transcripts must be provided with the application to verify education.
CSDB is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind and its Board are committed to providing a safe learning and work environment where all members of the school community are treated with dignity and respect. CSDB does not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, or veteran status. Accordingly, no otherwise qualified student, employee, applicant for employment or member of the public shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to unlawful discrimination, harassment, or unwelcome behavior under any CSDB program or activity on the basis of disability, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, or veteran status. The following persons are designated to handle inquiries regarding this policy: Chelle Lutz, Human Resources Manager (employee complaints) / Kathy Emter, Director of Special Education (student/parent/public complaints) at CSDB, 33 N. Institute Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80903 (Phone: 719-578-2100 / Fax: 719-578-2239). *Nondiscrimination in relation to genetic information is applicable to employment only.
"ADAAA Accommodations: Any person with a disability as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To request an accommodation, please contact Chelle Lutz, Human Resources Manager by phone 719-578-2114 or email firstname.lastname@example.org at least five business days before the assessment date to allow us to evaluate your request and prepare for the accommodation. You may be asked to provide additional information, including medical documentation, regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed. Please ensure that you have this information available well in advance of the assessment date."