State of Colorado
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Transportation Maintenance I
at State of Colorado
- Department Information
The Colorado Department of Military & Veterans Affairs (DMVA) has four major operational divisions: Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Civil Air Patrol, and Veterans Affairs. These divisions utilize state and federal resources to provide our communities, State, and nation with a ready military force for national defense and State emergency response as well as providing assistance to our Colorado Veterans.
DMVA offers comprehensive benefits programs to its classified work force that includes paid holidays, annual leave, sick leave, medical, dental, life, disability plan, flexible spending accounts, HSA's, and public retirement options. DMVA also strives to assist employees in achieving a healthy work/life balance by offering compressed work weeks, on-site fitness facilities, free parking, and a variety of training opportunities.
- Description of Job
- This position is a part of the Air National Guard branch located at Buckley Air Force Base, reports to a Transportation Maintenance II and III, and works within the Grounds and Pavement division to repair roads, airfields, parking areas, and base grounds. This position works ten (10) hour days, four days per week between Monday through Friday, but is an essential position and will be required to report outside of normal shift hours when weather or events occur. Specific duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- performing a variety of minor construction and maintenance duties using hand tools and various equipment from light weight to heavy construction type equipment;
- performing snow removal on airfield and parking lots;
- operating airfield vacuum sweepers, dump trucks, front-end loaders, skid steer loaders, water distributor truck, etc.;
- cutting grass on airfields and maintaining landscaping around buildings using various mowers and farm tractors as well as applying pesticides;
- maintaining and repairing airfield pavements, parking areas, and pedestrian walkways using concrete or asphalt products;
- constructing and repairing security fencing;
- installing and repairing signs and striping of parking areas;
- performing operator maintenance and some minor mechanical duties on all equipment; and
- may require occasional travel to the Air National Guard base in Greeley as needed.
- Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
- Must be a current Colorado resident.
- Two years experience in construction, equipment operation, highway maintenance, or farming; which includes six months experience operating heavy construction equipment such as font-end loader (1.5 yards or larger), bulldozer, road grader, or other heavy mobile equipment.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Commercial Driver license class B or higher with proper endorsements (please attach a copy to your on-line application).
- Must be able to work rotating shift assignments, overtime, and on-call as needed.
- Must be able to communicate via radio with air traffic control tower while on the flight line.
- Must be able to pass and maintain a background investigation as well as routine physicals and drug testing.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess a Colorado Commercial Pesticide Applicator license.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to gain and maintain a security clearance within six months of employment.
- Employment is conditional based upon ability to maintain security clearance for duration of employment.
- Must be able to pass a Criminal History background check prior to employment commencing.
- Must be willing to submit to random drug and alcohol testing as required.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone:303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.