Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Education & Employment Program Liaison
at Urban Peak
Education and Employment Program Liaison
19 – 123
70 – Education & Employment
Education & Employment Supervisor
Founded in 1988, Urban Peak is the only non-profit organization in Denver that provides a full convergence of services for youth ages 15 through 24 experiencing homelessness or at imminent risk of becoming homeless. Our goal is to meet youth where they are and to provide them with the assistance and support they need to become self-sufficient or obtain the necessary services they need to exit a life on the streets. Urban Peak provides numerous programs and services that are founded on the principles of trauma-informed care and Positive Youth Development to assist youth in reaching their potential and living a successful life off of the streets. Services include street outreach, a 40-bed shelter for youth ages 15 through 20, a daytime drop-in center, supportive housing, education and employment services, case management, life skills courses, behavioral health evaluations, meals and more.
The youth served at the shelter come from a variety of backgrounds, and we strive to be a safe community for all youth, regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, class, educational background, sexual orientation, gender identity, or ability status.
Under the supervision of the Education & Employment Supervisor, the Education & Employment Program Liaison will work collaboratively in all areas of Education & Employment (E&E) programming with a primary focus on developing and delivering E&E activities at all of Urban Peak’s sites. This position will split their time between the Urban Peak’s Shelter, Drop-In Center, Rox’s Place, STAR, and Rowan Garden in order to build relationships with youth, provide quality E&E services adapted to the needs of clients at each site, and build a bridge to further services and support from the E&E team and the E&E classroom. This position will also work collaboratively with all case managers to develop individualized service plans that include education and employment related goals with youth, follow up with youth on their goals, and direct youth to appropriate services and support in order to reach their goals. Other duties include: maintaining contact with case managers to ensure youth are successfully completing training, job, or educational requirements; curriculum development; and working with other community agencies to expand programming and resources for youth. This position contributes to successful delivery of youth service plans and must work floor shifts at Urban Peak’s shelter as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, counseling, education, communication or a related field and at least on year (1) experience working with youth; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with high-risk adolescents (ages 15-24)
- Experience in providing trauma informed care or willingness to adapt this approach is required
- Planning and organizational skills; excellent communication skills, presentation skills, and the ability to be a good listener
- Must be computer proficient and possess experience of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Understanding of the provision of and commitment to trauma informed care and positive youth development
- Must be insurable as a driver on Urban Peak’s auto liability policy to transport youth using an Urban Peak vehicle and an approved personal vehicle
- Must pass both federal and state background checks
- Must pass pre-employment TB screening
The job duties of this position are performed personally, in cooperation with your supervisor, and/or in coordination with other staff. Additional work functions and duties may be assigned.
E&E Service Delivery
- Build relationships with both youth and staff at all Urban Peak sites including the Drop-In Center and housing locations
- Develop curriculum, activities, and other learning opportunities aligned with the E&E classroom
- Facilitate E&E activities at all Urban Peak sites and adapt approach to current client needs while maintaining E&E standards and structure
- Maintain consistent schedule of programming at different sites
- Communicate with case managers to ensure youth are successfully engaged with and completing program requirements and collaboratively update case plans as needed
- Cover E&E classroom and support other E&E programming as needed
- Collaborate with other agencies for service delivery needs, staying current on resources and developments in E&E
- Provide personal interest and attention to each youth, remaining sensitive to the objective of supporting each youth in social, emotional, and intellectual development
- Provide guidance to youth based on the principles of trauma informed care and positive youth development
- Advocate for youth and maintain a general awareness of homeless youth issues
- Act as a positive role model to further Urban Peak’s goals
- Participate in student’s teamings or case planning meetings, taking a proactive approach in assessing progress, skills development, and overall readiness to pursue education and employment goals
- Attend all required training, staff meetings and client reviews, being prepared to address client issues
- Transport youth on designated outings in Urban Peak vehicle as needed
- Work shelter floor shifts and provide support in other Urban Peak Programs with the goal of connecting with youth and encouraging entry into education and employment programming
- Cooperate and participate with appropriate community organizations
- Keep Assistant Supervisor of Education & Employment informed of problems, concerns, needs, trends, and unusual circumstances in a timely manner
- Track all services and accurately input data collected on a daily and monthly basis
- Track conversations, bus tickets, and E&E/training goals with youth
This is a full time position. The typical work schedule is Monday – Friday; 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – may be adjusted to cover shelter morning shift and/or meetings – workshops as needed.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The starting salary for this position is 17.49 per hour. Our benefits package includes life, disability, medical & dental insurance, 403(b) plan, paid time off, sick time bereavement time, jury duty, holidays and a RTD Eco Pass.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three (3) professional and/or academic references to:
ATTN: Human Resources
730 21st Street
Denver, CO 80205
Fax: (303) 295-6116
All attachments should be in Microsoft Word (.doc) or portal document format (.pdf). In the subject field of the email include the job number, job title, and your first and last name. (Example: 012345 – HR Specialist – Doe, Jane).
This position will be filled as soon as a qualified candidate is identified. Due to limited staffing resources we are unable to respond to phone inquiries, including calls to check on the status of a submitted application. Applicants will only be contacted if selected for an interview. This job announcement is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the position.
Urban Peak is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of applicants.