Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Buyer/Planner in Lakewood Township, NJ at Vaco
Responsible for supply planning, sourcing and procurement functions directly associated with the Company's needs for indirect and direct materials and / or services, fixed assets and tooling, and select production materials and services. These products and services are to be secured at competitive costs / high quality, and delivery levels consistent with Company's policy and performance standards. The position is further responsible for the timely planning of materials and / or services, to ensure an optimized supply chain, to meet both dependent and independent demand.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
* Initiates purchase orders and amendments for parts, services, and/or special tools; arranges for submission and inspection of sample products as required; close coordination with plant engineering and quality control to assure timely execution of product and services sourcing activities.
* Secures and analyzes quotations; negotiates prices and terms with suppliers; and recommends suppliers with respect to cost, quality, and delivery competitiveness for assigned responsibilities.
* Develops an understanding of customers' needs and take actions to ensure that such needs are met.
* Explains proposed solutions to customers, management or other interested parties through written proposals and oral presentations.
* Manages the logistical aspects of product life cycles, including coordination or provisioning of samples and the minimization of obsolescence.
* Works closely with Procurement Team Members and Management to advance enterprise-wide sourcing programs as appropriate, for multiple Plants.
* Studies market prices and trends, engineering developments and manufacturing method improvements applicable to assigned responsibilities; and share knowledge in a collaborative Team environment.
* Coordinates the planning of recent schedules and inventory control parameters for the assigned products and services
* Negotiates with suppliers to meet Company and Purchasing cost reduction goals / objectives
* Interviews and confers with current and prospective suppliers to determine supply capabilities, transportation logistics, inventory control and management, negotiates prices and delivery terms consistent with Company's policy and performance standards.
* Coordinates as appropriate, quality matters and engineering changes / developments between company activities and suppliers.
* Organizes and implements, with direction from a Senior Buyer and/or the Director, Materials / Purchasing, strategies and initiatives to accomplish objectives consistent with company guidelines and best business practices.
* Visits suppliers' facilities to qualify them as new sources and assists in the resolution of production, design, quality, and / or delivery problems.
* Interacts with the production group on a daily basis to resolve issues regarding manufacturing efficiencies and constraints.
* Follows-up as required with all necessary departments to expedite product to meet the production schedule and customer expectations.
* Develops product time lines from set up time, production cycle time and average interruptions to maximize production.
* Establishes and maintains the ERP data with the most optimal and profitable production quantities.
* Performs other related duties as required.
* Bachelor's degree preferred; with emphasis in business administration, economics, and / or engineering, with four (4) years of progressively responsible purchasing / planning experience in a manufacturing environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Experienced using MS Office Suite, Outlook, with intermediate to advanced Excel experience
* Experience using an ERP system is required (Microsoft Dynamics / Navision / NavX preferred)
* APICS Certification Preferred
* Experience with International Purchasing in Asia preferred
* Fluency in Mandarin Chinese and/or Spanish high desirable
* Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures associated with production planning, WIP management, Kanban, and Lean Manufacturing
* Strong negotiation skills
* Proven ability to communicate clearly, effectively and tactfully (verbal and written) with all levels
* Proven ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
* Excellent team player with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively within own team and across multiple departments and functions
* Strong time management and execution capabilities to effectively manage multiple tasks and deadlines with the appropriate priorities