Eagle County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
AVID Tutors - District Wide
at Eagle County Schools
What is an AVID Tutor?
Tutors are essential to the success of the AVID elective class, where they facilitate student access to rigorous curriculum. As students from colleges and universities, tutors receive formal training and also serve as role models to the high school students. AVID students who continue their education in college often return to the program as tutors.
Would you like to be an AVID Tutor?
There is a need for AVID tutors for this school year at both Battle Mountain and Eagle County High Schools. Tutors are essential to the success of the AVID elective class where they facilitate student success in advanced classes. Each secondary school has multiple AVID classes in which tutors are needed two days each week to work with small groups of students. College students and dual credit high school students are highly desirable as tutors because they serve as positive college role models for the AVID students. All tutors receive formal training in AVID methodologies and good tutoring procedures.
Job Description: Tutors will be trained to tutor with the Socratic method. They will work with small groups of high school students under the supervision of the AVID site team in an AVID classroom during the school day. Tutors serve as guides and facilitators of students’ learning through questioning, writing, thinking, and discussing.
Duties at the School Site:
May perform any combination of the following at the school site:
- Provide academic support via tutorial assistance to students.
- Serve as positive role models for students.
- Encourage high academic achievement.
- Motivate students to continue in a college preparatory course of study throughout high school.
- Discuss students' achievement with teachers.
- Perform other duties as assigned by administrators and/or site coordinators/teachers, including working with individual students, leading group discussions, and grading AVID notebooks and Cornell notes.
Responsibilities to Eagle County School District:
Must perform duties in a dependable, responsible manner, including:
- Attend all tutor training sessions, meetings or other required events.
- Report to the school site in accordance with the established hours of work which were agreed upon with supervisor.
- Report absences in the prescribed manner. (Contact your school site.)
Cooperate fully with district staff, site counselors, teachers and administrators
AVID Tutoring Works!
History records that Socrates was the "first tutor" because he taught by asking his students questions. He refused to make authoritative statements, encouraging his students to discover truths through their own thinking processes. Socrates was also reputed to be adaptable and good humored - qualities all good AVID tutors possess.
Qualifications: Successful college students with strong English, math or science skills are especially welcome.
Times: Thursdays: 8:00-9:30, 12:15-1:45, 1:50-3:20
Job Contact Information
|Title||Career-X & AVID Coordinator|
Friday, August 3, 2018 12:00 AM -
Wednesday, May 1, 2019 11:59 PM
(Mountain Standard Time)