Volunteers of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Volunteers of America
VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA is looking for an experienced Dietary Manager to join their team! This position is located at Valley Manor Care Center in beautiful Montrose, CO.
To provide quality food service in accordance with all State and Federal regulations and to meet the nutritional and individual needs of the residents. To manage the operation of the Dietary department to include staffing, department purchasing, food preparation, food delivery and clean-up in accordance with facility policies, physician orders, resident care plans and appropriate regulations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Oversees Dietary department and ensures department is meeting the highest standard attainable in accordance with State and Federal regulations.
2. Directs and oversees all resident nutritional needs planning and programs.
a. Responsible for designated nutritional aspects of resident care planning, including attending and participating in resident care conferences, to include Quarterly, Annual, and Initial Assessments, completing MDS (nutritional section), nutritional assessments, and all documentation necessary for compliance with State and Federal Regulations.
b. Contacts designated residents through routine and special visits; documents all pertinent dietary information (i.e.; diet changes, eating habits and diet order changes).
c. Coordinates dietary services with Nursing Department goals concerning individual resident nutritional needs in accordance with physician orders.
d. Oversee and delegate the updating of all resident nutritional information, as needed.
e. Oversees food preparation and serving of regular and therapeutic meals on designated shifts; monitors food temperatures, portion control, palatability and attractiveness; inspects special diet trays for conformance to physician's diet orders prior to delivery.
f. Oversee and/or delegate the observation of meal service dining areas; obtains resident feedback on food quality, taste, appearance, temperature and service.
g. Responsible for obtaining approval for Capital expenditures and approving any large equipment purchases for the department.
3. Administers personnel function of the Dietary Department.
a. Interviews, and hires department personnel; supervises orientation; counsels and/or disciplines employees on infractions of established rules; partners with Human Resources to terminate employees when needed.
b. Conducts performance evaluations and recommends wage changes.
c. Schedules Dietary Staff to maintain budgeted staff hours every two (2) weeks.
d. Oversee the development and maintenance of work routines
4. Plans, develops and executes facility and individual resident menus in conjunction with Dietician Dietary Consultant in accordance with State and Federal regulations; implements substitutions of menu items dependent upon seasonal availability, individual preferences and principles of economy.
5. Oversees all department purchasing and maintains set budgets for the fiscal year.
6. Attends required in-services and completes assigned on-line modules.
7. Supplies input and/or information on a monthly basis concerning department functions, activities, needs, goals and objectives; completes annual reports.
8. Supervises and assists in workflow and food handling techniques of staff as needed on the designated shift.
9. Performs responsibilities of dietary department absent staff, as necessary.
10. Ensure equipment and work areas are clean, safe and orderly; and strict adherence to procedures regarding cleaners or hazardous materials or objects; ensure universal precautions and infection control, isolation, fire safety and sanitation practices and procedures are followed; and promptly address any hazardous conditions and equipment.
11. Supervise Food Preparation and Serving:
a. Ensure food is nutritional, appetizing, prepared as planned and served in a timely and pleasant manner.
b. Ensure appropriate meals/snacks are served to residents with special dietary needs.
12. Responsible for sanitation and safety procedures, practices and training of dietary department of conformance to quality standards and health regulations.
a. Ensure all utensils, dishes, equipment and work areas are cleaned on a timely basis.
b. Ensure proper storage of foods and supplies.
13. Understand, comply with and promote all rules regarding residents' rights.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Qualified Dietitian, or other nutrition-related Bachelor's Degree, or successful completion of state-approved food service management course (Certified Dietary Manager or Dietary Technician).
2. 2+ years experience with food preparation in a long-term care setting preferred.
3. Must have ability to read, write and follow oral and written directions at a level necessary to accomplish this job.
4. Ability to communicate and work effectively with various levels of staff, residents, family members and the public.
5. Numerical ability to make various computations in planning department objectives, keeping work records and schedules, preparing budgets, requisitioning supplies and monitoring inventory control.
6. Adequate strength and endurance to meet the strenuous physical demands of preparing and carrying quantity foods.
7. Visual acuity and color discrimination for examining cooked and stored foods; taste and smell discrimination for determining nutritional quality and palatability of foods.
8. Ability to utilize computers and other electronic devices for tasks such as timekeeping, in-servicing and documentation.